J&N Homestead

Our Urban Homesteading Story

Category: DIY

Garden beds are done and planting has begun!

IMG_20160507_120508004_HDRWe have finally finished the major construction and setup of our new garden and have it to the point that we are able to start transplanting the plants we started from seed into the beds. It’s been a long arduous journey but man I think the results speak for themselves!

As you can see, there isn’t much green just yet but boy it’s been a rainy and cold spring so once the weather finally starts to get and stay warm, I think things will start growing like crazy! We ended up tweaking the placement of several crops and I think the final placement is perfect. If you guys are interested, we used the vegetable garden planner from Mother Earth News, it’s a great deal and a great service, highly recommended!

We have a few things that didn’t make the date for the “Phase 1” cutoff so I expect I’ll have quite a few garden-related projects this summer, which should keep me busy. None of this could have been accomplished without the thankless help of my family, they really helped push this to completion when I was running out of steam. In the end, the family was able to build an amazing home garden that I hope will provide many years of food and more importantly, family memories!

IMG_20160507_120458210_HDR

A bench, a foundation for things to come…

IMG_20160130_162510536My garage doesn’t have a bench. Let me say that again for those who know me well know that I’ve probably built a workbench in every garage I’ve ever lived in. My garage doesn’t have a workbench! If Natalie and I were going to start this homestead journey in the spring, I had to have a trusty handy dandy workbench. I, however, wasn’t interested in leveraging one of the tried and true designs I’d built in the past, I wanted something simple and different, I wanted something movable.

My design is quite simple. It’s based off of a single 4′ x 8′ 3/4″ plywood top. I wanted to limit the cuts so I bought 4″ x 4″ x 8′ beams for the legs and 2″ x 6″ x 8′ boards for the skirt. I used standard 2″ x 4″ x 8′ boards for the framing and support. 2lbs of deck screws and 4 2″ casters and 4 hours of cutting, screwing and sweating and I had a mobile workbench that was solid as a rock and incredibly utilitarian. I love it and it’s going to get lots of use in the next few months, I’m sure of that. More pictures of the build are below.

© 2017 J&N Homestead

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑